(urth) The argument for Intractability

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Tue Dec 23 09:39:51 PST 2008

yeah, I really don't think it's an either-or situation regarding Free Will and Intervention.  I have a hard time putting it into words, but it doesn't cause any schism for me.  It is hard to comprehend time from an "It's all happened already" perspective without feeling like we're just going through some motions.  I liken it to a book. it's already finished, yet we have to read our way through it.

That being said, I'm not trying to make an ironclad argument that it "MUST" be intractable, just that, from what's given in the text, I can't imagine it any other way, and it does seem to work well metaphorically.

I just realized, given the scene in Urth with the Chilliarch and the Smilodon, and Severian's mercy to the Chilliarch and friendliness with the Smilodon would SURELY have ended up in the Conciliator myth.  As Christ is sometimes represented as a lion, or as various sun gods are posed with a Lion, the Conciliator would probably be sometimes pictured with the smilodon.
too cool.

~witz