(urth) AEG clones

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Fri Dec 19 15:40:16 PST 2008

Roy C. Lackey wrote:

> I'm still not convinced about Norma. For one thing, the rich woman Sharon
> talked about was said to be devoted to her son. I have a hard time believing
> that a rich woman devoted to her child would spend time slumming as an
> actress in a second-rate theater production like _The Red Spot_. A rich
> ex-wife could have bought her own show on Broadway and starred in it if she
> had the acting bug. Just before Norma was killed, she seemed to be concerned
> that she might be replaced in the proposed expanded production of Reis'
> play, and wanted Cassie to use her clout to save her job. If she were rich,
> all she had to do was slip greedy India enough money and her job would be
> secure. Plus, I have doubts about any woman, particularly a rich woman,
> wanting to play second-fiddle to another woman in a play produced by her ex,
> especially when the ex is obviously infatuated with the star. Ain't natural.
>
> Those other options would have reduced Norma's privacy. The rich woman
seems to have sworn Sharon to secrecy about her identity. There could be
good reasons for this, like the fear of Bill's enemies. If Norma was that
woman, we can see that her fears were justified.

There may also be wheels within wheels as far as her motivations for getting
close to Cassie.
1) Reis may have put her up to it initially, as part of a trap.
2) The ATF may have forced her into it by threats, since they use
ex-spouses.
3) She may not like Cassie as much as she appears. Knowing Cassie's constant
concern about her weight, she tempted her with a plate of fattening food (p.
60).
4) She can't stop smiling when Cassie is onstage with her. Is this a normal
reaction to Cassie's star-attraction. or a cover?
5) She does enough calling to Cassie that her name pops into Cassie's head
when she needs a quick alibi for a phone call from Chase.
6) The sniper seemed to know the path the women would take, and Norma
suggested the departure together and led the way.
7) She was wearing a black wool coat that night, suggesting she is a "black
sheep."