(urth) Science catches up to the New Sun

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Fri Dec 12 20:56:00 PST 2008

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, David Stockhoff wrote:

> Some kind of cyclically expanding/contracting universe theory has been around
> for at least several decades, if not more. But this is cool to read about.
> It addresses something that has always bothered me when I read TBotNS:
>
> That the various Hieros are rather vague on the concept of successive
> "universes." The word gets thrown around a lot, almost casually: you have
> stacked universes, sequential universes, and so on. How does one escape a
> universe when it implodes? Was Yesod always there, or was it created?
> But if a universe is never totally destroyed, then you can imagine whole
> species surviving from one to the next with some predictability. Without that
> predictability, Apheta's theory of generation and countergeneration can't
> possibly go on forever. Eventually, the chain will break if every universe
> ends in a great melodramatic catastrophe.
>
> Perhaps one could simply categorize Briah as a universe subject to cyclical
> contractions (thus, multiple bodies and a single consciousness, like
> Severian), and Yesod subject to none (like the Increate). The manvantara
> model dug up by Witz resembles this.
>
> From: "Jordon Flato" <jordonflato at gmail.com>
>
> . . .
>
> The researchers have found that when applying LQC, the universe does not
> revert back to a singularity as it contracts.

When BotNS was written, a big crunch (and restart) was seen as quite
likely, but now, of course, we live in a flat universe.

I might point to _Star Maker_ as another model -- progressive but
atemporal.  If you haven't read it, download it immediately ;)
http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0601841.txt

David Duffy.