(urth) Science catches up to the New Sun

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Dec 12 19:05:46 PST 2008

Some kind of cyclically expanding/contracting universe theory has been around for at least several decades, if not more. But this is cool to read about.

It addresses something that has always bothered me when I read TBotNS:

That the various Hieros are rather vague on the concept of successive "universes." The word gets thrown around a lot, almost casually: you have stacked universes, sequential universes, and so on. How does one escape a universe when it implodes? Was Yesod always there, or was it created?

But if a universe is never totally destroyed, then you can imagine whole species surviving from one to the next with some predictability. Without that predictability, Apheta's theory of generation and countergeneration can't possibly go on forever. Eventually, the chain will break if every universe ends in a great melodramatic catastrophe.

Perhaps one could simply categorize Briah as a universe subject to cyclical contractions (thus, multiple bodies and a single consciousness, like Severian), and Yesod subject to none (like the Increate). The manvantara model dug up by Witz resembles this.

Message: 7