(urth) Aside on Christ figures in TBotNS

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Fri Dec 12 12:49:18 PST 2008

David Stockhoff wrote:
> Also, for me there is little difference between Yahweh saying he is the Utmost and humans thinking he is, not realizing he is simply a sun god and that a bigger God lies above and behind him. This is partly because humans lie and make things up about their gods, and partly because the universe of TBotNS is, in a way. a Catholic universe with all the flesh stripped away to reveal the bones, like a postmodern building. It is generally rational and rationalized, relatively speaking. It has to "make sense" regardless of our existing religious beliefs, which will never perfectly apply.

The idea that Yaweh (the Creator as shown in the Old Testament) is a
different being than the God of the New Testament has been rejected as
heresy by the Church from the time of Marcion.

That is not to say that Wolfe couldn't play with the idea. Pas is a
demiurge in comparison to the Outsider in the Long Sun books.  I just
don't see as much of that in the New Sun books.