(urth) Abaia and the undines

Mark Millman markjmillman at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 09:35:48 PST 2008

Dear Son of Witz,

On Friday 12 December 2008, you wrote:

> It's Severian who is immortal. His body
> doesn't matter. tUotNS makes it very
> clear that Severian is NOT his body,
> which dies again and again. by the
> middle, he's clearly a cosmic entity, a
> New Sun, a White Fountain, a HEAV-
> ENLY BODY, and he puppeteers his
> little Severian puppet by strings that
> would strangle half of Briah.  In BoTNS,
> there were many deaths too, though
> they were covert. In UoTNS, the deaths
> are overt. I believe the point of these
> many deaths in UotNS is to illustrate
> this to him.

Yes, it's Severian who is (physically) immortal; thank you for the
support.  The fact that until he brings the New Sun that immortality
is by the agency of body-replacement with aquastors seems to have
confused some people, as there have been several references lately to
aquastors themselves being immortal, which does not seem to be
textually supported.

Best,

Mark Millman