(urth) Abaia and the undines

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Fri Dec 12 09:27:52 PST 2008

>From: Mark Millman [mailto:markjmillman at gmail.com]

>Folks,
>
>On Friday 12 December 2008, David Stockhoff wrote:
>
>> . . . an aquastor who presumably is immortal
>
>I don't know where this idea got its start, but I don't believe that
>there's any reason at all to believe that aquastors are immortal.
>Severian certainly gets his body replaced often enough; but it seems
>that between replacements, he ages and suffers injuries like anybody
>else.
>
>Best,
>
>Mark Millman

It's Severian who is immortal. His body doesn't matter. tUotNS makes it very clear that Severian is NOT his body, which dies again and again. by the middle, he's clearly a cosmic entity, a New Sun, a White Fountain, a HEAVENLY BODY, and he puppeteers his little Severian puppet by strings that would strangle half of Briah.  In BoTNS, there were many deaths too, though they were covert. In UoTNS, the deaths are overt. I believe the point of these many deaths in UotNS is to illustrate this to him.