(urth) AEG voices

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Thu Dec 11 09:16:25 PST 2008

Roy C. Lackey wrote:

> Who--or what--are the voices in Gid's hopper that Computer Lady didn't hear?
> Should I have recognized them from another source, as is the case for the
> Squid god? Why do they egg her on?

The voices make me think of spirits bound in service to a wizard. If there's
a specific literary reference, it may be to *The Tempest*:
1) The voice like the wind is like Ariel, the airy spirit.
2) The deep voice that tries to tempt Cassie to drink whiskey is like
Caliban, who gets drunk along with Stephano and Trinculo.
3) The tinny voice that mocks the car's windows is like the Shapes that act
with "mocks and mows."

Bound spirits often try to carry out their own agendas when their master is
not closely controlling them. Chase thought it would be dangerous for Cassie
to be in the car by herself. She tricked him so he had no opportunity to
give orders to the spirits, so they tried to tempt her into trouble.

There was another time when Cassie was alone in the car and didn't hear
voices -- the night she first met Chase. Either the spirits were not there
then, or they were under orders not to speak. (They may have been under
orders to cause Cassie to fall asleep. It seems odd that Chase was counting
on her staying asleep so he could hop the car to Canada. It's doubtful she
would have fallen asleep on her own after being called out in the middle of
the night to wait in a car in a bad neighborhood).