(urth) "Goodbye Old Buddy" -- Pirate Freedom murder mystery, take two

Matthew Keeley matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 20:23:25 PST 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 10:14 PM, Henry Eissler
<henryeissleriii at mindspring.com> wrote:
>   Of course, I forgot that even Fr. Chris' time was in our future.  I don't
> remember anything about city-to-city monorails, though.
>   I have to read the book again.
>   'Til then,
>   ---H

I'm pretty sure there is something about monorails. Fairly early in
the text, though I could be wrong about its location in the book.
Given how long such a system would take to construct, and given how
little time the Cuban Commies seem to have left in the Real World, I
believe there was some speculation that Chris comes from sort of
parallel future? I don't imagine that Wolfe thinks we'll build an
extensive monorail system before the Castros get swept into the
dustbin of history - he's too much of an engineer and a realist.

-Matt