(urth) Urth - Geology vs Humanity

Lane Haygood lhaygood at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 09:21:05 PST 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Tim Walters <walters at doubtfulpalace.com>wrote:

> O'Donnell, Tim (BOSI) wrote:
>
> Vance in the Dying Earth series never gave any clues to the passage of time
>> and thus escaped this trap.
>>

> I don't have time to look for a pull quote right now, but I'm pretty sure
> that somewhere he makes it clear that it's far, far in the future, far
> enough for the sun to have weakened naturally.
>
> And while the subgenre is named after Vance's book, he wasn't the only (or
> first) to write in it. Vance's model was Clark Ashton Smith's Zothique
> stories. Richard Lupoff wrote "One Million Centuries." Arthur C. Clarke got
> a toe in with "The City And The Stars." Ultimately the trope goes back to
> Wells' "The Time Machine." I'm pretty sure all of these are explicit about
> the passage of eons, and it's an important part of their effect.
>
> I believe Wolfe is following this tradition.
>
> --
>
> Tim Walters | The Doubtful Palace | http://doubtfulpalace.com

It's also instructive to note that the Dying Earth subgenre is very pulpy,
esp. in the Clark Ashton Smith (and his imitators) vein.  Vance brought a
little more literary panache to the genre, but its roots are pure pulp.

Pulp is often willing to sacrifice logic and good science for dramatic
effect.

-Lane