(urth) Sapphire Star

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Tue Dec 30 10:36:47 PST 2008

Thanks for the feedback.
I think all the comments so far are on-point.

On Dec 29, 2008, at 7:30 PM, John Watkins wrote:

> Another point that may be of interest regarding red within or
> beneath blue.
>
> In Byzantine art, red is the color of divinity, blue the color of
> humanity.  Christ is therefore often shown with blue over red--the
> divine "putting on" the human form.  (Mary, in contrast, wears red
> over blue, the human taken up by divine grace).

I had not noticed that yet. Great bit. I'll keep that in mind.

On Dec 30, 2008, at 7:41 AM, David Stockhoff wrote:

> Good to know!
>
> Wolfe always weaves his fiction from existing threads, whether
> literary or real. In a sense, he's one of the most "unoriginal" and
> "uncreative" writers I can think of--in his use of words, for
> example. It's no surprise that he would follow some orthodoxy on
> Byzantine color schemes.
> If I had half the knowledge in that man's head ....

this reminds me of working with Secret Chiefs 3 a bit.  He works so
strongly from a body of tradition that when design decisions need to
be made, especially in terms of color choices, we can just reference
the tradition.  That's one of the strengths of utilizing these forms.
They have a deeply worked over consistency in symbolism, despite the
thousands of years of variants.

> On 12/29/08, David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net> wrote:
>> That does point up something germane, however. The Claw's colors
>> are blue
>> and white on the outside (sky, sun) and red and black (green??) on
>> the
>> inside (thorn, blood). None of these has anything to do with
>> Severian's
>> iconography (black). And indeed Severian believes the Claw is
>> separate from
>> himself until he is shown otherwise.
>>
>> Presumably sapphire is connected to healing in some reality-based
>> tradition.
>> But I don't find any evidence of it. I did find the following:
>>
>> " Symbolic precious stones by the early Christian artists have been
>> alluded
>> to by several ancient writers. Conspicuous among these was
>> Marbodeus, Bishop
>> of Rennes, who wrote (as before mentioned) at the commencement of the
>> twelfth century.
>>
>> The blue-coloured Sapphire is an emblem of heaven, virtue, truth,
>> constancy, heavenly love, and contemplation. [NOT HEALING!!!]
>>
>> "The azure light of Sapphire's stone
>> Resembles that celestial throne,
>> A symbol of each simple heart
>> That grasps in hope the better part,
>> Whose life each holy deed combines,
>> And in the light of virtue shines."

  This is great.  the "healing" bit was a surprise.  The thing I was
pondering when I went looking was the relationship of the stone to the
star.
The Claw is essentially the earthly stand-in /counterpart to the sun.
As NewSun, he carries the Star home, in a sense, bringing it across
time and space.  As Severian, he's carried the claw around the
commonwealth.    When he finally gives the thorn away to the
Chilliarch in the Age of the Autarch, the very next thing he walks the
corridors of time and comes out of his cenotaph obelisk, where he
immediately sees his Star.
"As the stone swung back, I saw the starry sky and the single bright
star (blue now with it's velocity) that was myself"
then again in "the Morning Tide" he says the Claw of the Conciliator
has returned, then identifies it as the star, then as himself.
anyway, it hadn't dawned on me till this point that the Claw is
symbolic of his Star more than anything.

>> In his "Commentary," Marbodeus says, "The Sapphire is of the colour
>> of
>> the sky. It signifies, then, that while they be yet on earth, set
>> their
>> affections on things above, and despise things terrestrial." "
>>
>> Makes sense for the New Sun, don't it? And Wolfe, who must have
>> done at
>> least a little research into Byzantine icons and early Christian
>> art, hid
>> Severian's blood inside a blue stone rather than go for the obvious
>> carbuncle (blood of christ) or the imperial "sardius":
>>
>> I wonder, has anyone considered that Severian's iconic color is
>> literally
>> the color of a black hole?

I've noticed that.
it really works well combined with the Avern, which I also see as a
symbol for Severian as New Sun.
A white blossom surrounded in irridescent black blades.
I don't know how to put it into words, but as I've been drawing new
sun icons, the black hole aspect of the black has seemed very important.

that being said, I was thinking that Autarch Severian would probably
not be thought of in Fuligin, no?
He's presumably wearing Argent robes in the ceremony with the skulls
before leaving Urth.
"Soon I must don robes of argent, the color that is more pure than
white"
which of course speaks, by contrast, to the dichotomy of Severian's role

thanks for the additional detail, David & John,
~Witz