(urth) AEG and Castleview

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Tue Dec 23 04:02:42 PST 2008

David Duffy wrote:
> Has anyone brought up Arthur-Guinevere-Merlin rather than Lancelot?
> Reis is the High King after all, and GC is definitely a wizard.

Merlin's love interest was usually Viviane (aka Nimue), the Lady of the
Lake, not Guinevere. Wolfe followed this line in "The Magic Animal."
Viviane and Morgan le Fey are combined in Castleview, and the Merlin
there seemed to be the old King Geimreadh (he lived with Viviane, he
appeared old while she appeared young, and he was key to an act of magic
in the end).

The Castleview character I saw as closest to Lancelot was Rex Madadh. He
was a fey, a werewolf, but he ended up with the Guinevere of that story
(Sally). Lancelot had a fey connection too, since he was taken from his
human family as a child and raised by the Lady of the Lake in her
magical realm. That's a good fit for Gideon Chase as well.

Chase was young, strong, and handsome. These are more traits of Lancelot
than Merlin. Lancelot was known to perform healings, as Chase healed
Rian. Lancelot gained favor in King Arthur's court by persuading an
enemy (Galehaut) to surrender rather than fight. I connect this to the
oil-field deal that Chase did (p. 26) (presumably for Reis, since Sharon
Bench knew his family and was unlikely to have an independent inside
source). Chase worked for Reis in the end, and made a major contribution
to his downfall through Cassie. This was also like Lancelot.