(urth) AEG clones

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 16:11:17 PST 2008

>Roy said, then James, then Roy
>>>One of the problems with this clone theory is that there should be some
>>>sort of coordination among clones in order to avoid tripping each other
>>>up
>>>and exposing themselves. That in turn necessitates one individual as the
>>>prime individual who benefits from the coordinated actions of the others.

>>I thought that was the whole point of the clone theory. The clone theory
>>allows murderer Reis to give Cassie a deadly bracelet, and island king
>>Rosenquist to fall in love with Cassie and take it back and give her a
>>diamond one instead.

>Which one killed a thousand or so people to take control of the islands?
>Which one benefited?

To take control of them from whom? The Squid God? One man's wild-eyed
revolutionary is another's liberator. The lesser king who described the
events to Cassie seemed to see W.R. as a liberator.

>But it is the same guy, the one at Rusterman's, who expressed the desire
>to have both on the same page. "When I was younger, I wanted to own
>an  island. An island with beaches and palm trees where I would reign as
>king." [...]
> "I have that island now, but I've seen a better one. A blue isle in a sea
> of black." (125)

Well, that is why I said originally that the clone has *a chance* of
resolving open questions. If I were going to construct a "THREE Heads of
Cerberus" model for AEG, I would start by positing that the guy Cassie is
talking to in Rusterman's is Reis. I'd build off that and see if the system
eventually falls apart impossibly.

>Roy then James then Roy
>> >Part of his stated ego trip was
>> >that he and he alone would possess the most desirable woman
>> >in the world.

>> It depends on which clone we are talking about.

>The guy at Rusterman's said it. (125)
>So did the guy who gave her the
> diamonds, in almost the same words. (145)

So the guy who gave her the diamonds and the guy she met at Rusterman's do
not need to be the same. That fits if Ries is the one who gave her the
bracelet (which does not need to be the guy she met in the car afterwards).

>Roy then James then Roy
>> >If only one guy gets the girl . . . things are bound to get ugly.
>>
>>Or if one wants the girl win the most desirable woman and another sees
>>her as a terrible threat. IF the clone theory is correct, then Cassie
>>seems to suspect on a subconcious level that one of them doesn't
>>want to win her--he wants to kill her. (pg 181)

>At that point she was laboring under the false assumption that she had
>been
>the shooter's intended target. (Wolfe characters are forever jumping to
>wrong conclusions.) She later learned from Scott that Norma had been the
>intended target. (188)

...And the false conclusion almost as often turns out to have been true in
an unexpected sense. Scott says that the ATF shot Norma and that she was the
target. I'm not certain yet how much to believe about that. Remember that it
was the US Navy, not W.R., who attacked the Squid God. And yet, it isn't
entirely accurate to say that W.R. was not behind it.