(urth) AEG clones

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Sun Dec 21 22:36:08 PST 2008

James Wynn quoted and wrote:
> > One of the problems with this clone theory is that there should be some
> > sort
> > of coordination among clones in order to avoid tripping each other up
and
> > exposing themselves. That in turn necessitates one individual as the
prime
> > individual who benefits from the coordinated actions of the others.
>
> I thought that was the whole point of the clone theory. The clone theory
> allows murderer Reis to give Cassie a deadly bracelet, and island king
> Rosenquist to fall in love with Cassie and take it back and give her a
> diamond one instead.

Which one killed a thousand or so people to take control of the islands?
Which one benefited?

> They would need each other, but they have their own
> desires out of life. Reis would want to rule "his island in a sea of
black"
> liberated from the Squid God, but Rosenquist would want to rule his island
> in a sea of blue liberated from the Squid God.

But it is the same guy, the one at Rusterman's, who expressed the desire to
have both on the same page. "When I was younger, I wanted to own an island.
An island with beaches and palm trees where I would reign as king." [. . .]
"I have that island now, but I've seen a better one. A blue isle in a sea of
black." (125)

[snip]
> >Part of his stated ego trip was
> >that he and he alone would possess the most desirable woman
> >in the world.
>
> It depends on which clone we are talking about.

The guy at Ruterman's said it. (125) So did the guy who gave her the
diamonds, in almost the same words. (145)

[snip]
> >If only one guy gets the girl . . . things are bound to get ugly.
>
> Or if one wants the girl win the most desirable woman and another sees her
> as a terrible threat. IF the clone theory is correct, then Cassie seems to
> suspect on a subconcious level that one of them doesn't want to win her--
he
> wants to kill her. (pg 181)

At that point she was laboring under the false assumption that she had been
the shooter's intended target. (Wolfe characters are forever jumping to
wrong conclusions.) She later learned from Scott that Norma had been the
intended target. (188)

-Roy