(urth) Science catches up to the New Sun

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Dec 15 09:46:53 PST 2008

I think that analysis is correct. Foreknowledge is one thing, but throw in interventionism and you have something to chew on, both in theology and in (science) fiction. Time travel in TBotNS is critical to the plot, but I don't consider it the main event---it is not simply a "time travel" story at heart. Nor is it intended as a time-paradox puzzle story---we're told enough that we should be able to figure it out without getting very elaborate.

One reason I resist the 2-Severian theory is that it is unnecessary (from an authorial perspective), which is to say it is not strictly needed to avoid paradox and in fact would render the Hierodules redundant; another is that it is too showboaty and gimmicky. The rest of the cosmology is probably best not thought about.

However, I still want to hear more corpse-in-the coffin theories!

P.S.: I don't know Jack of Eagles, but I'm amazed that someone else has read The Third Policeman.

Message: 2