(urth) The Will Of God

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon Dec 8 08:44:19 PST 2008

David Stockhoff wrote:
> So, superior but not perfect. Yes, you would think that their "higher" perspective is worth something. However, it might equally well be worth nothing.
>
> I'm skeptical that knowledge of those particular events is worth anything either. Perhaps this is because I regard them as fictional at best.  And the Christian myth has its own share of unreliable narrators.
>
> But the issue here is how, then, to identify and analyze a true "divine intervention"---which brings us back to our starting point.
>
> Only true miracles could possibly be proof, and then only to eyewitnesses themselves. And no mere reader of Severian can ever be a direct eyewitness.

THe Hierogrammates seem to have an improved from of witness in that that
absorbed fragments share with the main body and the main body with new
fragments. They also demonstarte an ability to direct portals through
time and space through which they can speak and observe, and depost
people. If an archipelago were to ever identify a miracle in their
companion galaxy in Briah, they could all be personal witnesses of it in
short order.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >