(urth) Something Newish

Andrew Dubbeld andy at foisdin.com
Fri Dec 5 19:16:02 PST 2008

Craig Brewer wrote:
> But I'm not sure about "after death," either. I mean, in a generally Christian situation, once you die, isn't that the end of your moral "trial"? Everything after is just consequence. But Able still has plenty to prove/learn about himself. That seems like a pre- rather than post-death situation.
>
> Craig

Heaven and Hell: not terribly scriptural. There's ideas present throughout the text, but never the entirely spiritual mode of existence that "modern" Christianity has envisioned.

Do note that parables are never intended to impart doctrine. They play with present understandings (pointedly), rather than bringing new insight.

The scriptural idea of heaven seems to be much more bodily; a kind of future earth where we've sorted ourselves out, and God has come back to live amongst us (with subsequent resurrection and potentially judgment).

It resonates a little with the idea of Ushas being the stage on which this eventually plays out.

Andy