(urth) "Goodbye Old Buddy" -- Pirate Freedom murder mystery, take two

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 15:15:27 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 2:51 PM, Dave Tallman <davetallman at msn.com> wrote:

> Here are more "Burtisms" -- anachronistic and heavily British-slangy. He's
> almost as over-the-top as King Kanoa in "An Evil Guest" (by the way, I also
> think Kanoa is faking his speech patterns to disarm suspicions -- he's
> clearly on the side of the Storm King).
>
> "Gentleman" (p. 55) without meaning someone with noble birth or property:
> 1700's.
> "You twig?" (p. 55): 1800's.
> "Surefire": American, 1900's.
> "Set her cap" (p. 57): 18th century.
> "Chap" (p. 136) meaning "man": 1700's.
> "Awfully" as an intensive without any connotation of dread or awe (p. 257):
> 1800's.
> "The lay of the land" (p. 258): 1800's.
> "Flash" (p. 258): 1800's.
> "Make book" (p. 260): 1800's.
> "A spot more wine" (p. 261): 1800's.
> "Keep your chin up" (p. 267): American slang from the 1930's.
>
> Ending sentences with the interrogative particle, "eh?" is probably
> anachronistic, too.

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant
-----
http://www.livejournal.com/users/sturgeonslawyer
http://www.danehyoakes.com

I once absend-mindedly ordered Three Mile Island dressing in a restaurant
and, with great presence of mind, they brought Thousand Island Dressing and
a bottle of chili sauce. -- T. Pratchett