(urth) An Old mystery ...

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 12:21:42 PST 2008

My main point, in this and others of the conceededly tiresome threads
on this topic, has been to argue that the Gene Wolfe who depicts
non-Christian faiths so empathetically in Long Sun, Short Sun, Latro,
etc., is likely a big believer in so-called anonymous Christianity.  I
very much doubt that he thinks that all of those people on Urth are
going straight to Hell--just try to imagine Silk, for example,
explaining to Horn that everyone who doesn't follow the Outsider will
burn eternally.  It's jarring, and almost certainly not where Wolfe is
going with the destruction of Urth.

Because of this, I don't see Severian's "Christ-like" characteristics
as implying any kind of moral sanction for the Ushas choice unless
there's something deeper going on--a third layer, behind the
Hierogrammates, where the Increate is working some kind of subtle
magic.  What this is, however, is a mystery I haven't solved yet.

And so I get frustrated when, on this list, many who are not
Christians themselves sort of imply that this monstrous act in the
book is something that I should just be gung-ho about because, well,
the Christian God is pretty much a monster Himself.  I don't buy that,
and I don't think Wolfe does, and I think it misses the mark in
understanding the New Sun.

Anyway, that's my take.  I've said it.