(urth) An Old mystery ...

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Dec 4 11:40:21 PST 2008

Witz---

Talk about syncretism!

This line:
You corpse animators, charcoal burners,
Moulders of wax, adherants to the Seen

reminds me of the villagers Severian and Burgundafara meet, who refuse to look at Severian. ("Look, that you may see me.") Animism and witchcraft seem strong in all ages of Urth (Zama, TUotNS), and these people worship the Demiurge, not the Increate.

I accept your observation about the state religion of the Autarchy. However, the Black Sun must mean SOMETHING. And while I can't prove it except by pointing to what I perceive as a certain absence, I can't imagine this religion as being alive in any way. It might be more accurate to say it's PURELY a "state religion," which is almost the same as calling it dead. The forms survive, but do the people engage with it?

The people of the Commonwealth don't seem to function on faith, but on knowledge (gnosis) and a suspicion of the seen. The people want something more than the Commonwealth can give. Think of the people of Typhon's time who say (I paraphrase), "We keep sacrificing, but the gods are assholes."

Contrast this with TBotLS, in which religion is more explicitly and closely examined as a means of state control which becomes the means of state dissolution. Silk has faith.

Message: 5