(urth) A new mystery ...

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue Dec 2 16:38:30 PST 2008

Thanks, Roy. Got to ponder that a while ...

The intervention of B+O+F occurs in chapter L; Severian falls and dies in chapter IX.

But I can see how it could be. The text says only

"The old Autarch, who lived in my mind but seldom spoke, muttered through my swollen lips. "Find another...
A dozen panting breaths had passed before I understood what he had told us: that it was time to surrender this body to death, time for us---time for Severian and Thecla, time for himself and all the rest who stood in his shadow---to take a step toward the shadows ourselves. Time for us to find someone else."

Then Severian has his new body, although it is burned and has broken teeth. He's wearing velvet, which presumably belongs to the Autarch. It's as though he didn't die at all, and didn't inhabit a new body. But an aquastor might behave that way.

At any rate, the aquastor looked different from Severian, and Valeria recognizes him as ... the Conciliator?

Message: 6