(urth) Peace, and colors, and murder, and games

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Wed Aug 27 21:59:29 PDT 2008

I posted on this a few months ago, in April:

And later Helen Algmin wrote, and I replied:

> >/ PS – Yes, the color names make me think of Clue.  And for good reason.  In Clue,
/> >/ the names are supposed to be pseudonyms to keep the players anonymous.  I think
/> >/ Weer also uses pseudonyms.
/
> I think that idea was only introduced in the Clue movie, but you have a good idea
> about pseudonyms. For example, the name "Julius Smart" seems too descriptive of the man
> to be real.

My last comment on the "Clue" connection:
> To press on the analogy, Clue players must visit specific rooms in a mansion
> in order to invoke memories to confirm or contradict their theories. They cannot access
> the central room where the truth is hidden.
>
> Likewise, Weer says he lives on the periphery of his house and that he never goes into
> his den (Den, himself) p. 10. A similar point is made by the waiting-room music,
> "A Life for the Czar" by Glinka (p. 3). In this opera, a Russian peasant is forced
> by an invading army to lead them to the secret hiding place of the Czar. Pretending to
> comply, he leads them on a wild-goose-chase through swamps and thickets until they
> are completely demoralized. It fits my experience trying to follow Weer in this
> novel.
We do know one murder in full Clue-style: Professor Peacock killed Mrs. Smart in the village with a car.