(urth) Etymology/meaning/onomatopoeic aspects of the word "Urth"

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 11:25:26 PDT 2008

Pavel,

There's a fair amount packed into the name. Urth or Urdr or Urd is the name
of the eldest of the three Norns, the Norse equivalent of the Fates. The
names of the other two, Skuld and Verthandi, are given to Mars and Venus
in the New Sun epoch.

But there's more: another variant on the name of Urd is Wurd, or Wyrd,
which means, simply, fate or destiny. Urth is in some sense the destined
world.

And, as long as we're poking at names, let's not forget Lune, whose
name is of course a variation of Luna, Moon, but which also suggests
to an English speaker a Loon, or Lunatic, a madman (or woman).

The Moon itself, because of its phases, has traditionally been taken to
hold in itself all three phases of the Triple Goddess, of whom the
Fates/Norns are one variation/version, not to be confused with the Furies
and the Graces, who are also incarnations of the Triple Goddess (indeed,
the nine Muses may be also, depending on whom you ask).

The Three are Maiden, Mother, and Crone, and one of the significances
of "Urth" is that Mother Earth is no longer a Mother, she is now a Crone;
she is barren. Her function is to cut the thread that Skuld spins and
Verthandi dyes.

When Urth becomes Ushas, she becomes the Maiden once again.