(urth) PF Review

Matthew Groves matthewalangroves at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 16:12:00 PST 2007

thalassocrat wrote:
> Chris is indeed a bad man.

To me, the most chilling insight into Chris's "half-monstrous" nature
comes when he is recounting having saved the slaves in the Spanish
stockade outside Portobello.  Chris says this incident was the
exception, but that "That just makes it sweeter."

Was anyone else struck by the constant references to swords and
daggers of various shapes, often very carefully described, always
being taken away or found or lost or traded or given?  And all the
guns and the importance of their size.  Chris and Capt. Burt "share
the captain's cabin with a long nine."  Later he puts a long nine
stern chaser in his cabin on the Castillo Blanco.  Also doubloons and
coin purses of various sizes being taken by force or carried or lent.
It all struck me as Freudian.  In particular, the incident on
Hispaniola when Chris and the Buccaneers parlay with the Spanish and
they take Chris's coin purse seems to be the source of a great deal of
Chris's rage.