(urth) Questions . . .

brunians at brunians.org brunians at brunians.org
Tue Nov 27 13:26:46 PST 2007

> On Nov 27, 2007, at 1:01 PM, brunians at brunians.org wrote:

>>>  A fair translation of this passage would admit that we really
>>> don't know what Paul meant by opposing psuchikon to pneumatikon,
>>> perhaps by just adjectivizing the word "soul".

>> Pardon, the differentiation between soul and spirit (breath) is
>> ancient.
>> Way older than St Paul.

> Nephesh and ruah, sure.

Indeed.

>> It's also pretty clear what is meant by the two
>> terms.

> I meant to refer to the distinction between the terms "soma
> psuchikon" and "soma pneumatikon", not the distinction between psuche
> and pneuma, which is better understood.

That's a fair cop.

>                                          And, dear Brunians,

You can call me Josh.

>                                                                you may
> be clear on the difference between soul and spirit, but that sets you
> apart from 'most everyone I know.

Surely there are one or two....

>                                     Mushy-thinking about resurrection
> and the afterlife seems to be a characteristic of modern, unmoored,
> post-Protestant Christianity.

Well, Christian I'll own to, at least sometimes, if heretical from almost
everyone's point of view, modern I'm not, post-Protestant definitely not,
unmoored, I hope not, but it's not for me to say.

> On the topic of soul/psuche/nephesh, Brunians, have you read any of
> Rupert Sheldrake's work on morphogenetic fields?

I have not, but it sounds intriguing. Titles and short description?

.