(urth) Questions . . .

Matthew King automatthew at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 12:32:12 PST 2007

On Nov 27, 2007, at 1:01 PM, brunians at brunians.org wrote:

>>  A fair translation of this passage would admit that we really
>> don't know what Paul meant by opposing psuchikon to pneumatikon,
>> perhaps by just adjectivizing the word "soul".
>
> Pardon, the differentiation between soul and spirit (breath) is
> ancient.
> Way older than St Paul.

Nephesh and ruah, sure.

> It's also pretty clear what is meant by the two
> terms.

I meant to refer to the distinction between the terms "soma
psuchikon" and "soma pneumatikon", not the distinction between psuche
and pneuma, which is better understood.  And, dear Brunians, you may
be clear on the difference between soul and spirit, but that sets you
apart from 'most everyone I know.  Mushy-thinking about resurrection
and the afterlife seems to be a characteristic of modern, unmoored,
post-Protestant Christianity.

On the topic of soul/psuche/nephesh, Brunians, have you read any of
Rupert Sheldrake's work on morphogenetic fields?