(urth) Similarities between TWK and "Golden City Far"

Nathan Spears spearofsolomon at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 29 07:20:14 PDT 2007

I felt that the similarities between TWK and "Golden City Far" were actually intended to draw my attention to the differences between them.

For instance, in the Wizard Knight the protagonist is transformed externally from a boy into a man very rapidly, and in "GCF" he is transformed internally from a boy into a man.  That description seems loaded - let me try once more.  In TWK, Able experiences the effects of rapid aging superficially, where in GCF the boy experiences them non-superficially.  One grows bodily, the other grows mentally.  The boy in GCF (whose name I can't remember) also grows stronger, but apparently in such a manner that no one notices a change in his appearance (witness the bullying and the encounter with the coach).

Also, in TWK, Able is on a quest, but the destination is Platonic in a sense - his ultimate goal is to become A Knight.  In GCF, the destination is actually physical, the titular Golden City.

Looking for these differences many of the details in GCF seem point/counterpoint to TWK - the sword in TWK augments Able's power, in GCF the protag gives the sword power.  In TWK Gylf uses human speech; in GCF the protag learns to hear dog speech.

I feel like Wolfe wanted to tell TWK with all the main details inverted.