(urth) Film Version of New Sun?

Matthew Keeley matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 14:32:30 PDT 2007

In regards to an animated version of The Book of the New Sun, I'd love to
see one of the Japanese studios take it on. Satoshi Kon, from what I know of
him, might do a good job with The Book of the New Sun. I'd actually prefer a
26-episode series to a feature film, if only because that could provide more
room for detail.

I don't think Miyazaki would necessarily be my top choice for Severian's
story, but I understand that his company, Studio Ghibli, recently did a film
of LeGuin's Earthsea books, though the film can't come out in the US until
2009 (http://www.ursulakleguin.com/GedoSenkiResponse.html). Wolfe devotees
might also enjoy Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle, which is based off a book
by a Diana Wynne Jones, who Wolfe apparently really likes.

As for Bridge to Terabithia, I never read it, but it was very popular when I
was growing up. Several of my friends, when they saw a poster for the movie,
reminisced about how "It was my favorite book going up." I gather it has a
larger following than one might think.

-Matt