(urth) Tracking Song and The Call of the Wild

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Mon Jun 18 22:10:46 PDT 2007

Matthew Groves wrote:
>Here's some more interesting facts:
>The epigraph is from the Aeneid.
>Aeneus is a hero from the Iliad.
>"Sing, O Muse, of the rage of Achilles."
> "Mankiller" is an epithet of Achilles.
>Nashhwonk is called "Mankiller."
>Nashhwonk is felled by cutting his Achilles tendon.

And Mankiller's tendon was cut by Cutthroat.
Mankiller's throat was cut by wolfish Longknife.

So, when you mix Greek, Roman and Hebrew mythologies with Jack London and
Wolfe, what do you get? A presumed man killer called Cutthroat helped kill a
humanoid called Mankiller by exploiting a well-known human weak spot.

>Maybe I'm just not cut out for a plowman.

Or I'm not cut out to be a soothsayer. <g> Will you elaborate on how the
moose-man's fate relates to the rest of Wolfe's story?

-Roy