(urth) Tracking Song and The Call of the Wild

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Sun Jun 17 00:55:13 PDT 2007

Daniel D Jones quoted and wrote:

>> Even his great size relative to the wolfmen seems to
>> be in the same proportion as a human to a wolf.
>
>That's another angle I'd never considered.  Is Nashwonk not a giant but
merely
>an ordinary sized man, and the other characters in the story still roughly
>the same size as their animal counterparts?

One of Nashhwonk's fingers was as large as Cutthroat's wrist and his legs
were longer than Cutthroat was tall, so it depends. Allowances have to be
made for size differences due to the lower gravity of the small planet
relative to Cutthroat's home planet. As I see it, each species of beastmen
looks more-or-less human. I think that was the point of the genetic
tinkering that produced them. When the humans and their civilization died
out, the beastmen reverted to their animal skills to survive.

Cutthroat's height only came up to the wolfmen's shoulders, whereas in CotW
Buck was much bigger than any wolf.

-Roy