(urth) A Question

JWillard aldenweer at charter.net
Thu Jun 14 22:27:25 PDT 2007

Stuart Hamm wrote:

> Hey Evryone,I have a question for you all...
> I have a couple of good friends I want to turn on to GW, what is a
> good strting point? Don't want to scare them off to soon...
> I'm thinking "Strang Travelers" or "The ISland..." ,or should I just
> give them Shadow and Claw and be done with it???
>
> Stuart
>
> */Tim Walters <walters at doubtfulpalace.com>/* wrote:
>
>     > Buck's dreams in CotW are easily explained. Jack London was a
>     believer
>     > in racial memory (and a lot of other tosh as well). He wrote a whole
>     > novel in which the protagonist (an imprisoned radical) escapes into
>     > dreams/visions/astral projections of the past, including a
>     session in
>     > prehistoric times, which corresponds nicely to Buck's dream. It was
>     > called "Star Rover."
>
>     _Before Adam_ uses the same trope, IIRC.
>
>     --
>     Tim Walters | http://doubtfulpalace.com

> Stuart Hamm
> 1235B 7th Ave
> San Francisco, CA 94122
> 415 786 3624

'Seven American Nights' is what hooked me.  It's a perfect short-form
introduction to Wolfe:  the seemingly simple, imaginative, engaging
narrative ... and then all those nagging questions afterward.  (And
still they nag.)  And if someone's going to hate Wolfe it's better that
they suffer thirty pages than a couple of hundred or more.  IMHO  The
second Island story might be good for similar reasons...