(urth) Vance and Tokien as influences on D&D

Dave Lebling dlebling at hyraxes.com
Sat Jun 9 18:14:05 PDT 2007

Adam Thornton wrote:
> Imagine my delight upon finding, early on in _Lolita_, that
> prostitutes were referred to as _grues_.  The Great Underground Empire
> will, I fear, never look quite the same to me.
Aha! The French "grue" is "crane" (both the bird and the lifting
device). I suspect that's where Nabokov got it (the bird, I would
suspect, though I suppose "lifting device" might apply as well).

Imagine my surprise when I first visited Montreal and found in the
Yellow Pages "location des grues" ("crane rental"). One hopes they are
rented only in daylight.

Dave Lebling, aka vizcacha