(urth) Vance and Tokien as influences on D&D

Adam Thornton adam at io.com
Sat Jun 9 17:05:42 PDT 2007

On Jun 9, 2007, at 3:07 PM, Dave Lebling wrote:
> stilskin wrote:
>> --- Tim Walters <walters at doubtfulpalace.com> wrote:
>>> And Fletcher Pratt, who I think is less well known
>>> than he should be (G. G. Kay and G.R.R. Martin owe him
>>> plenty).     Let's not forget Michael Moorcock and Poul Anderson!
> If we're going that far, we might as well include L. Sprague deCamp
> as well. The "Incomplete Enchanter" stories he wrote with Pratt
> were one of the highlights of the "Unknown" era. I for one always
> liked deCamp better than Pratt.

But once we go this far then we need to start considering second-and-
third order effects.  I mean, OK, so you have Moorcock.  Looking back
you've got Mervyn Peake, and forward you have M. John Harrison and
the whole British crowd of Moorcock-inspired genre authors.  Which
would bring you to, say, China Mieville, on whom Vance is probably
more of a second-order influence by way of Gygax.  But of course, to
bring this back to Wolfe, Mieville is extremely Borges-influenced as
well.  And also Lewis Carroll; I can't think offhand of anything
specifically Carrollian in Wolfe, but I will be amazed if someone on
this list can't immediately pipe up with something.  (Of course, you
could get there via Jasper Fforde, since the Unitary Authority of
Warrington (formerly Cheshire) Cat is in charge of the Library of
Babel--and therefore is, of course Master Ultan, and since Cyby is
Wolfe's self-insertion, that might make Thursday Next Gene Wolfe, and
now my head has explodiated.

> In any case, the magic system in D&D (and the one in the Zork
> computer games) was directly stolen from the Dying Earth stories,
> as was the grue. As the thief in the latter case, I can be sure of
> that.

Imagine my delight upon finding, early on in _Lolita_, that
prostitutes were referred to as _grues_.  The Great Underground
Empire will, I fear, never look quite the same to me.

Adam