(urth) Vance and Shea

aaron aaronsingleton at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 19:07:38 PDT 2007

Perhaps Wolfe was influenced by Vance before he converted to Catholicism.
If I recall correctly, Wolfe said in Castle of the Otter that he read The
Dying Earth upon its release in 1950, before he married and converted, I
believe.  If Wolfe only discovered Vance today, I wonder what his opinion
would be?
     I agree with you about Vance's glamour never fading.  His work is truly
timeless.  I hope he is re-discovered in the future and that his work is
shown the appreciation and respect it deserves.
     I am glad to hear that you think Shea to be a worthwhile read.  I will
certainly order the first Nifft book and see how it goes.  I might even go
to the Baen site right now and order the ebook version of the Complete
Nifft.  Hmm.  It is tempting.  Too bad my checking acct. balance is
not presently sufficient to cover the paltry four dollars and ninety-nine
cents they are asking for the ebook.  I shall await payday anxiously! =)