(urth) Vance and Shea

Yves Meynard meynard at videotron.ca
Mon Jun 4 18:49:14 PDT 2007

Aaron writes:

> Also, the other day, I read about the author Michael Shea and how he
> wrote a sequel to The Eyes of the Overworld.  He then went on to
> write a few
> books about a character named Nifft the Lean who is said to be
> Cugel-esque.
> I am intrigued and will probably try to locate a copy of this Nifft
> the
> Lean.  Hopefully it will be worthwhile.  Any of you guys read
> Michael Shea?

Shea's a very interesting writer. The books about Nifft are
impressive pieces of baroque fantasy, and the sequel to _The Eyes of
the Overworld_ is quite amusing. It starts off as a very convincing
pastiche, but then Shea's own writerly nature comes seeping through
the cracks and the book becomes very Nifft-like at the end -- not
that I'm complaining.

I reread Vance pretty regularly. He was one of my first great
literary loves, and the only one who's kept all his glamour as I've
aged. Amusing to think the influence he's had on Wolfe when you
consider Vance's cynical take on religion.

Yves Meynard