(urth) the elephant in the room

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 11:49:26 PDT 2007

Don,

Some personal thinks on "Soldier of Sidon."

1. I find the "Soldier" books the hardest to read of all Wolfe's
work. I don't know why this should be. Part of it, I suspect,
is that the artificiality of it is right on the surface; the conceit
of Latro's memory loss, while poignant and meaningful, also
creates a surface reason for Wolfe's usual lacunae, making
it harder to look for meaning in them (Latro isn't suppressing
unpleasant facts, he just doesn't know a lot of them), while
at the same time almost forcing a degree of repetition that is
totally un-Lupine. Because of this, the first two are my least
reread Wolfe novels, and I chose to reread them prior to
reading "Sidon," and so only got to "Sidon" this past month.

2. There was some discussion of "Sidon" after it came
out. I've saved it unread, and will get around to reading
it soon. Maybe I'll respond to some of it.

3. In many ways, I found "Sidon" an easier read than its
predecessors. Still quite difficult (something about Latro's
style just does *not* fit well into my parser) but easier:
possibly because I know Egyptian culture/history better
than Greek and had less trouble understanding what was
going on.

4. But I just don't find a great deal of meaning in these books.
Partly, I'm sure, because I struggle just to read them, and
because I've reread them so little; but partly because so
much *is* on the surface. There seems to be very little
"hidden stuff" going on, other than whatever is going on
with the gods of various lands bickering with each other.
But once you take them as literally existing beings, well,
that's what gods of that sort *do*.