(urth) New Wolfe Story at Subterranean Press

Daniel D Jones ddjones at riddlemaster.org
Tue Jun 26 16:29:34 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 26 June 2007 17:13, Matthew King wrote:
> > "our" in the "our own" in the sentence quoted above?
>
> And why does the narrator give himself the role of the evil dwarf in
> his imagining of a fecund human past?

The one that popped out at me is whether the narrator is robot or human.  Has
he, perhaps, managed to infect Roberta with his own disgust at his own
nature?

"...Either the Robinsons could not have a child of their own, or were
unwilling to undertake the travail and expense of a real child. I could not—I
do not—blame them in the least. But I wondered, because I have never had much
to do with such ‘bots, about her schooling..."  What's the significance of
the word "such" in that sentence?  Has he, perhaps, had "much to do" with
other types of 'bots?

"My kind had built a paradise, of which I was a part. A paradise for machines,
in which the human race, though welcome, could not and did not thrive..."
What is his kind?  Did machines build the paradise?  Is he part of he
paradise for machines because he's a machine himself?  When he speaks of the
human race not thriving, is he speaking as a member of that race - or as an
observer outside the race?

Why is Roberta, the robot girl, the center of the story rather than Julianne,
the human girl?  Early in the story, he says "...poor simple little beings
whose torment I began...."  Who's he referring to here?  The two girls?  Or
the two robots, one in human form, one in canine?