(urth) A Question

Tim Walters walters at doubtfulpalace.com
Thu Jun 14 22:57:59 PDT 2007

A lot depends on who's getting the recommendation. Much of the pleasure
of BotNS and later fiction lies in the way Wolfe treats and/or subverts
standard sf and fantasy tropes, and someone who hasn't read much in the
genres may not get that.

I don't quite remember my first encounter with Wolfe--it was back in the
Seventies, I think, since I remember being very excited when _Shadow_
came out--but it was almost certainly a short story in an Orbit or
Nebula collection, possibly "The Death of Doctor Island." To this day I
prefer his stories above all, and I think _Island..._ might be the best
introduction, unless the receiver is one of those surprisingly numerous
people who just doesn't like short fiction at all.

But to the Joyce/Eliot fan I gave _Fifth Head_. Not that he ever read it.

--

Tim Walters | The Doubtful Palace | http://doubtfulpalace.com