(urth) A Question

Matthew Keeley matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 19:20:05 PDT 2007

Stuart,

I started off with Shadow & Claw myself; I was hooked by the end of the
first chapter. I haven't read Strange Travelers, but I'm not sure if The
Island of Doctor Death is the best place to start; lots of the science stuff
hasn't aged as well as one might hope, and some of the stories, like "The
Eyeflash Miracles," are so obscure and difficult to read that I wonder if
they might turn off readers. That said, it seems to me that "Seven American
Nights" from that collection might make a very good intro to Wolfe; it seems
to me a very representative Wolfe story, what with the decaying world and
the monumentally unreliable narrator.

I suppose that The Wizard Knight is another possible starting point; my one
caveat is that lots of readers either a) hate Able or b) think that The
Wizard drags a lot, so that might not be the best place to begin.

Best of luck convincing your friends.

-Matt