(urth) Vance and Tokien as influences on D&D

Adam Thornton adam at io.com
Sat Jun 9 20:20:06 PDT 2007

On Jun 9, 2007, at 8:14 PM, Dave Lebling wrote:

> Adam Thornton wrote:
>> Imagine my delight upon finding, early on in _Lolita_, that
>> prostitutes were referred to as _grues_.  The Great Underground
>> Empire
>> will, I fear, never look quite the same to me.
> Aha! The French "grue" is "crane" (both the bird and the lifting
> device). I suspect that's where Nabokov got it (the bird, I would
> suspect, though I suppose "lifting device" might apply as well).
>
> Imagine my surprise when I first visited Montreal and found in the
> Yellow Pages "location des grues" ("crane rental"). One hopes they are
> rented only in daylight.

I imagine there's not a lot of repeat business if they aren't.

Now I must write a short work of IF, "La Grenouille", in which you
play the eponym, just so that I can say (shamelessly pasted from
Google Translate):

Vous êtes susceptibles d'être mangés par une grue.

Which gets us back to Carroll.  Found *what* advisable?  I'm afraid I
can't find the bridge back to Wolfe, though.  What *did* the
archbishop find?

Adam