(urth) The Distant Suns of Gene Wolfe

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 12:52:16 PDT 2007

On 6/1/07, aaron <aaronsingleton at gmail.com> wrote:
> I also thought this was ridiculous.  One editor's opinion does little to
> convince me.

Though it is one editor's opinion, I think it is the opinion of an
editor who is clearly cognizant of the realities of the industry.
Things have changed significantly with the conglomeratization
of publishing; risky books don't get published as much.

> What about the guy who wrote Fight Club and Guts? (Can't remember his name
> at the moment)

Chuck Pahlaniuk (sp?)

> And
> as far as Wolfe's writing being too religious, I disagree.  I think for most
> people, the religion in his work is there, but it is subtle and never
> dominates.  If you go into Wolfe's work looking for examples of his beliefs,
> then you will find them, IMO.

Well, the first Wolfe I ever read was tBotNS, as it came out, and I knew
nothing about at the time. Halfway through the third volume (specifically,
at the "Temptation in the Wilderness" scene) I said, "This guy is a Christian."

I think that one misses a lot of what Wolfe is doing if one doesn't know
that he's a Catholic, with a strongly "incarnationalist" perspective.

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant
-----