(urth) Soldier if Sidon questions and spoilers

Dan Rabin wolfe-lists at danrabin.com
Sun Jan 14 17:47:15 PST 2007

Transentient <transentient at gmail.com> asks:

>1) Does anybody know what the Hellenes actually call the last page?
>(page 302)

The best candidate I could find in an hour of online research was
"colophon".  This is the term used today for an account of the making
of the book, such as the designer, the type selected, the paper and
printing process chosen, the binder, and so forth.  As in "written by
Lucius on papyrus of Riverland with reed pen".

I thought this was just Wolfe being playful with the way he provides
a fictional providence for the work.  Lucius has a vague notion that
he should be writing something like what I just suggested, only he
can't remember any of the facts he should set down.  Anyhow, the
story isn't over just because the book is done.  I think we're being
set up for a sequel in Babylonia.

Of course, at the end of _Soldier of Arete_ I thought we were going
to have a sequel in Phoenicia, but Wolfe skipped over that and merely
gave us Phoenicians.

   -- Dan Rabin