(urth) PF - Lesage & Ignacio

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Thu Dec 13 19:57:54 PST 2007

Start with Lesage.

Burt gives him command of the little sloop Windward after
depositing Chris on Hispaniola. He's still in command of it when
Chris puts into Port Royal after taking the Castillo Blanco. (Both
pieces of info come to Chris from two former Windward shipmates,
who left the Windward a week before.)

Shortly after this, Lesage is captain of the "three-master"
Bretagne. (This piece of info comes from buccaneers on Hispaniola,
when Chris drops by there to look for Valentin.)

The narrative doesn't make much of it, but as a "three-master" the
Bretagne is surely the largest of the pirate ships. For example,
the Weald is the largest of the flotilla Burt leads around the
Horn, and she is a two-masted brig. Anybody who knows something
about nautical history can correct me here, but I think the
Bretagne must actually be a galleon.

How does Lesage in a tiny sloop with a handful of men take a
galleon in the short time available to him?

We have a galleon candidate: the Santa Lucia, which Chris fights on
his way from Port Royal to Hispaniola. He leaves her crippled;
still too big & dangerous for the Windward by itself, surely, but
in conjunction with some other larger ship or flotilla which
somehow knows of her plight & position ....?

Fast forward to Rio Hato, the site of Lesage's treachery. Recall
that Lesage turns up there in the Bretagne with four other ships in
company.

Question: how plausible is the picture of Lesage leading a flotilla
around the Horn, given his apparent inability to keep a crew
together and his unpleasant reputation?

He tells Burt and Chris that he missed them at Portobello, but
knowing Burt's ultimate goal, he sailed as fast as could from
there, finding them at Rio Hato. Chris says he should have spotted
a "big hole" in this story.

I'm not exactly sure what the hole is - we know that Lesage had
been told about Portobello and the Pacific plan, so no hole up to
that point. But I assume it must have to do with the timing. That
is, under reasonable assumptions, if Lesage had sailed swiftly from
Portobello, he should have arrived on the Pacific side of Panama
long before Burt's flotilla. Between Portobello and Rio Hato, Burt
et al had recruited amongst the Cameroons, taken Maracaibo,
refitted at Port Royal, spent a long time finding a wind through
the passage, spent a few weeks recuperating, waited 10 days off
Callao for the treasure fleet to sail, and then chased it north to
Panama.

Next question: How does Lesage appear at Rio hato at just the right
time to work his treachery?

Obviously, I'm pointing the finger at Ignacio with all of these
questions. I think we have the answer here to what he was actually
doing since "losing sight" of Chris in Veracruz.

First up - motivation. Burt's stash is far less than the value of
the Spanish mule train. To the extent that Ignacio is driven by
desire for $$$, he will want to get his hands on the bigger pile.
IMO, this is in fact a *primary* motivation for him. He might want
to go sailing around the world with Novia and his kid, but he wants
to do it with lots & lots & lots of money - as he imagiens to
himself on the night of the treachery. When Fr Chris writes of
having "planned every detail", what he means is the plan
culminating in this treachery.

(Burt speaks of being able to go back to Surrey and buy a tidy
estate when he's added some more to his stash. One tenth of a
commander's share of the mule train is enough for that purpose. On
the figures Burt gives when he describes the train to Chris, say
around $500K for his stash, and $50M-$200M for a mule train, in
modern dollars, and acknowledging that such comparisons are always
very rough.)

Second - execution. As I wrote before, I think that Ignacio in
2010's-era Cuba has already recovered Burt's stash. He uses
proceeds from this to finance the venture, once he's back in the
17th century. Buys a ship, recruits a crew. He knows where & when
to find Lesage: at Port Royal, a week before Chris sails for
Tortuga, if not before. Meets him, recruits him to the plan (Lesage
is also a money-driven kind of guy), gets him to chuck people who
already know the young Chris off the Windward.

Go find the crippled Sana Lucia, take it, install Lesage as captain
(renamed the Bretagne presumably in honor of Lesage's birth-place)
and cats-power flotilla leader. Quite possibly stop off at
Hispaniola to get rid of Valentin (though I'm not clear exactly why
- maybe it's a device for getting a better hold on Lesage, who
would be prime suspect in any murder investigation ... dunno).

Possibly the two ships are then positioned as a *Spanish* pirate
force, perhaps with a base at Veracruz (Fr Chris explains how
Spanish and Franco-British pirates rarely have much to do with each
other). Ignacio is the real commander but Lesage fronts - obviously
he doesn't want it widely known in Veracruz that he's in charge;
this could get him "in the soup" with Novia later on, after Chris
has gone back to the future.

Ignacio engineers the Portobello incident by writing the letter
which Gosling intercepts, giving time to assemble his own larger
flotilla on the one hand, and reducing Burt's manpower on the
other.

Follows Burt around the Horn, arrives at Rio Hato at just the right
time, do the dirty deed, grab the gold, take the biggest share,
meet Chris & Novia in Veracruz with a big grin on his face ...

Although he probably regrets Burt at al's death a little, it's
*already happened* and God isn't going to punish him for something
which happened in his past where he was a victim too (or some such
casuistry). He would have given strict instructions that Novia was
not to be hurt or raped, but there had to be enough rough-house to
avoid suspicion.