(urth) Typhon & Whorl

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Sun Dec 23 20:22:54 PST 2007

  On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 05:41:48 +1100 Marc Aramini
  <marcaramini at yahoo.com> wrote:
> great stuff, and I especially was always puzzled by the zen like
> koan where Ymar gets up and follows the dog (remember, he sits
> under a tree, and all manner of men and women come by, but he only
> moves to follow the dog) -but this idea makes it very, very
> important and masterfully relevant.  otherwise, it is inscrutable.

It is, IIRC, a classic Buddhist parable (or is it Hindu? I have read it,
but can't find it at the moment), so I always thought it just another
example of reattribution a la medieval Alexander stories etc.

I am always reminded, when reading this list, of _Gigamesh_ (in Lem's _A
Perfect Vacuum_).  Maybe the dog is masterfully relevant, maybe the dog
is actually a wolf(e), etc.

Anyway, seasonal greetings and all that.

David Duffy.