(urth) Typhon & Whorl

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 23 17:36:48 PST 2007

--- thalassocrat at nym.hush.com wrote:

> Triskele *looked* dead but Sev doesn't say that he
> actually was
> dead. He doesn't seem to have any of the vagueness
> resurrected
> humans seem to experience.

Here is the quote:

"Our guild buries its own dead beside the wall ... but
the keepers of the Bear Tower leave theirs to be taken
away by others.  He was the smallest of those dead."
(p 29 shadow and claw)

which, the second time I read it, screamed to me that
Sev's powers worked BEFORE the claw was his.

then ...

"I went over and put my hand on his head - I don't
know why.  He seemed as dead as the rest, but he
opened one eye then and rolled it at me, and there was
a confidence in it that the worst was over now"

This is ambiguous because he is classified as the
smallest of those dead and only evinces life ONLY
AFTER  Severian touches him.  I have always read this
as definitive proof that it is not the claw but
Severian who carries these powers.