(urth) Typhon & Whorl

Pedro Pereira domus_artemis at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 21 07:25:55 PST 2007

Also, people tend to try to find answers to legitimize their point of view in strict scientific views, like "the moon can't be so close to earth because of "this"", or "there's not enough asteroids in the asteroid belt to add significantly to mass of the moon to make it consistant with what we see in TBotNS", etc. Well, people are just assuming that Wolfe is super-human and knows everything about everything. He makes mistakes, and from my geologists point of view, I see many inconsistencies. People forget things like that you cannot add a white hole to a black hole, like in -1+1=0 and that reverts everything back to "normal." I can hardly call his books hard sci-fi (in fact very few books are even many of those considered so), although he does take great care in making everything consistent and credible. What people can be sure about is his stories, characters motivations, etc. As for the science, take it with a grain of salt and an open mind.

Pedro

From: domus_artemis at hotmail.comTo: urth at lists.urth.netDate: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 17:09:41 +0200Subject: Re: (urth) Typhon & Whorl

Yes, I read yor essay. Good stuff. As I said before I'm not convinced that SS is set in a distante future of our system, but neither am I convinced it is not. This may not be important to the general flow of the tale (just like its not important the reason why the whorl is STL) but still is a legitimate question that could clarify a lot of things. A lot of people here feel its a question that is a waste of time, but I don't think so. Unfortunately I doubt it will ever be definitely answered (Wolfe's response in a interview seems too dubious to me, too "wolfian" to be credited as a direct answer). In fact, another reason for the Whorl beying like it is is simply that Typhon may want to ensure that in Urth's future he will still be worshiped. Thus he sends a gigantic ship (excelent for the job at end) with thousands of colonialists/evangelists, in a STL travel at relativistic speeds so that when the "journey" ends it will be on Urth's system in the far future. And basically what we see is the distante future of the green man.  But then, maybe not. Maybe Typhon in his megalomaniac way just wants to create a megalomanous project of colonization, create a new colony that he can brag about, instead of just re-colonizing/adding the former colonies of the First Empire to his.  Both of this ideas are plausible.    Pedro > Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 06:44:37 -0800> From: marcaramini at yahoo.com> To: urth at lists.urth.net> Subject: Re: (urth) Typhon & Whorl> > > --- Pedro Pereira <domus_artemis at hotmail.com> wrote:> > What I feel when I read> > the so called Solar Cycle is that TBotNS/UotNS is> > one thing meant to be read together and LS/SS is> > another thing meant to be read together, but the two> > cycles are basically independent and can perfectly> > be read separately.> > > > My fervent belief is that short sun shows the nascent> rise of the green man and his ilk on Ushas with the> recombination of man with that ancient vegetative> matter.> > The trees make the multi-limbed animals by eating> their diploid templates but the lianas are the> primordial inhuma, with growth and reproduction> through blood - but they can survive being buried,> etc. The green man seems between these two,> vegetative certainly but not multi-limbed.> > But most think I'm out of my gourd.> > > ____________________________________________________________________________________> Be a better friend, newshound, and > know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ > > _______________________________________________> Urth Mailing List> To post, write urth at urth.net> Subscription/information: http://www.urth.net