(urth) Prior Race On Blue And Green

Recursive Loop recursive_loop at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 17 13:48:47 PST 2007

Greetings:

"Where I disagree with you is that I do think these discussions are interesting and are obviously
one of the major reasons why people end up on this list."

I noticed a couple of remarks of late in the order of "well, if you only checked the archives,
you'd see we hashed it over in 19XX."

I agree with the above commentator: discussions are interesting. I've been on a Patrick O'Brian
list for a while, and the old discussions (The Dreaded Casting Thread, forsooth) come around every
now and again.

Sure, we could say--check the archives! But...you know...the folks who are new to the list and who
have not yet added the word "Dreaded" to "Casting Thread" do managed to contribute the occasional
new insight.

I know that there is a natural history to lists, and maybe the "old timers" think we "newbys" are
just re-hashing old history. We can just delve into the archives. But maybe we'll learn by
discussion (that whole "social web" thing) and maybe others will learn from us as well.

FPK3