(urth) Cumaean???

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sun Dec 16 18:05:37 PST 2007

Pedro Pereira wrote:
>     <<A question I have always wondered is why Typhon didn't equip the
>     Whorl is FTL (Faster than Light) technology.  He tells Severain that
>     he would put his capital on another World, and that he could travel
>     between worlds, meaning that he could do so within his lifespan,
>     thus FTL transport.  So my idea is that the FTL technology wasn't
>     capable of moving a Whorl sized ship (like the Hero technology could
>     do), or my favorite reason is that Typhon didn't want to educate his
>     colony ships with any more technology than he had to (within
>     reason).  He wanted a STL (slower than light) ship so that upon
>     arrival to the new system the ship couldn't start a new rebeling
>     empire that had FTL technology.>>
>

>     There's no indication that I remember that says that FTL travel is
>     possible.

"'Once I ruled this planet and many more.'"
"'My physicians, of whom I naturally had the best of many worlds...'"
"'My astronomers had told me that this sun's activity would decay slowly.'"
"'...those to whom I had given control of such ships as could reach the
stars had fled in them...'"

Along with the gravity-bending boat in the mountain, this indicates
Typhon had access to effects that transcended relativity, (as reversed
gravity and FTL would both do).

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >