(urth) PF Chronology

Matthew Groves matthewalangroves at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 07:36:39 PST 2007

On Dec 8, 2007 7:57 AM,  <thalassocrat at nym.hush.com> wrote:
> I come to the following conclusions:

> A: "Born" [2007]
> B: Goes to Cuba [2017]
> C: Enters monastery school [ca. 2020]
> D: Begins novitiate [ca. 2023-4]
> E: Ends novitiate & goes to past [to ca. 1675]
> F: Goes forward again [to 2007]
[ G: Fr. Chris begins writing in 2017]
[ H: Fr. Chris returns to Cuba in 2018]

Well done.  Happy birthday Chris.

> We have reasonable dating for the "past" action.  Captain Burt
> speaks of Drake in the Golden Hind sailing around the world "almost
> a hundred years ago". This voyage lasted from 1577 through 1580.
> Let's say "E" = 1675.

Also, Capt. Burt mentions that Panama City has been rebuilt and
reinforced since Capt. Morgan burned it.  That occurred in 1670, and
Panama City was rebuilt in 1673.  So the events of the novel must take
place sometime after 1673 and before 1680.  1675 sounds good to me.

And doesn't this quote seem suggestive: "A year seems like a lifetime
at that age, so
three or maybe four lifetimes passed before I went from being a
student to being a novice...." -- not only for its hint about Chris's
multiple lifetimes, but for its possible implications about the time
line:

Let's say Chris is drifting backwards in time one lifetime (70 years)
for every year he is at the monastery.  For three or four years he is
a student, and for another year or so he is a novice.  Let's call it
somewhat less than 5 years total at the monastery, meaning Chris
drifts back somewhat less than 350 years.  Assuming, from your
calculations, that Chris entered the monastery in 2020, that means he
exits the gates sometime after 1670, which accords pretty well with
your "E" and with the burning of Panama.

On another subject, what to make of Chris's many references to saints?
 He reads about their lives, teaches kids what being a saint means,
preaches about saints at midnight mass on Christmas eve....