(urth) Typhon & Whorl

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Fri Dec 28 06:02:26 PST 2007

A little while ago Roy agreed with me on something:

>>Abaia etc are in the oceans of Urth during Typhon's reign
[according to SS/LS], and
>>given that his family knows about them, presumably he does too
>>(whereas in NS their presence seems to be a new thing for the
>>"resurrected" Typhon).

>Exactly right.

But actually, this problem crops up even in UOTNS. From his cell,
Sev tells Herena et al: "Great Erebus, who has established his
kingdom [in the southern ice] ... will unite his strength with
Abaia's, whose kingdom is in the warm waters".

If you want to harmonize UOTNS with the rest of NS, then I guess
you're forced to conclude that Abaia was there but T didn't know
it, back in the day. The relevant words from Sword Ch XXVI (after
T's resurrection): "There are powers in the seas now who would
rule". It doesn't seem like something T would say if he had known
of those powers before his death, at the time Sev's speech to
Herena et al.

I guess it's possible that Abaia etc had just recently arrived
and/or were successfully concealing themselves from him. By the
time of Sword, Typhon has been replaced by Autarchs, with much less
power, and so concealment is unnecessary.

If you want to harmonize all of NS/UOTNS/LS/SS, I suppose you can
extend this to construct a story in which Abaia etc suborned (some
of?) Typhon's children (and wife?) without revealing their
existence to him.